Sunday, January 27, 2008

Commitment

Wow! Have I really made a commitment.
Any big project requires tenacity and staying power to complete. Once past the initial excitement of starting, the realisation starts to sink in that if you are going to finish, then you need to settle in for the long haul. For me, the prospect of finishing is ultimately what keeps me going. I make little milestones along the way to keep up my enthusiasm and give myself little rewards. Things like: "the first 10cm in length", "getting to the armhole", "changing colour"... That sort of thing.
This blanket is so big that the mini milestones are really important. There are 32 ripples in every row. Getting to 16 ripples is a BIG achievement! Changing colour every 2 rows? Gosh, that is stellar!!! (Boy, is this going to be a long 400 years).
To demonstrate the size, here are the first 4 rows (with the 5th in progress) laid out along the foot of the bed. I didn't think 160 cm sounded that much when I was starting this project! Think again.
And here is a detail. I'm rather pleased with my first crochet effort. The next big challenge is choosing colours. I've only got three so far. I think I might use my doona for inspiration and also this picture from The Blue Blog.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger lisette said...

that's very impressive - a a lovely doona cover too :) i think i would faint at the prospect of a project that size - i'm way too lazy...

12:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is amazing and a very lovely start!

8:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home