Monday, January 02, 2006

All for the want of a Quilt

I have always wanted my own patchwork quilt. I have lusted after them in magazines, but have never been able to justify the outrageous prices in the stores. But it is not just cost that has stopped me from buying one - the thought of one made by my own hands has always held great appeal.

So a few months ago I visited Patchwork House in Melbourne and started purchasing fabric for "MY Quilt". I now have all the fabric needed, including the backing fabric. It is a mix of pinks and blues, with a smattering of red.




Last month I finished cutting out all the fabric.

Today I put together another 25 blocks - giving me 40 completed.

I am now a 1/3 of the way through the blocks! It's a big quilt.


I am not hand sewing it (I want to finish it this decade) - but using my trusty sewing machine, which I am very attached to. It was my mother's. My father gave it to her for an engagement present - how little he knew her! While her mother was an accomplished sewer, knitter, embroiderer etc, my mother couldn't stand doing that kind of stuff! She had other skills!


So my mother never used her Husqvarna and I found it as a twelve year old at the back of a cupboard! It has been faithful to me ever since. I even love the colour. But it weighs a ton.

Well my Christmas holiday is over - but I live in a 'holiday destination' for many Melbournians - so I am still surrounded by tourists and campers.

Amazing what a bit of a temperature change can do. Friday night it was so packed on my beach that I couldn't take Mil for a swim.
Yesterday, with a top temp around 19 deg C, the beach was deserted in the evening when I took Mil down! It meant I could give her a good run without worrying about other people.

Bring on February - when school goes back, peace returns and the weather improves!

2 Comments:

Blogger lisette said...

well done you! the blocks look great and the colours just sing...

11:59 PM  
Blogger Taphophile said...

Love those quilt colours - look forward to seeing your progress. Isn't it great when our tools have a history.

7:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home