Thursday, January 05, 2006

Knitting Challenge!

I'm a girl that likes goals. I love the feeling of ticking something off my mental "To Do" list. The sense of closure and achievement - just wonderful! I also like the journey, but there are always boring bits, I need to imagine the end so I can get there...

So it was with some delight that I received The Red Hill Show Information Sheets on Competitive Exhibition Sections for the 2006 Show. I have always imagined entering some knitting in a local argicultural show, but never actually got around to it - could 2006 be the year???

Entries close on the 1oth March - what could I complete by then? Well what I would like to do is:


  • Links of Lace Socks (designed by Nancy McFarlane) out of Lorna's Lace Shepherd Sock Yarn in Sorbet - as you can see I have started these (I cast on 66 st because I am using a finer yarn)!
  • stripy socks in burnt orange and bone - which will use up some 'vintage' wool I bought from the Australian Sheep and Wool Show held at Bendigo last year (this wool must be from the 60s or 70s? probably from some knitters stash???)
  • Not Cable Socks from Sockbug using the dark olive green Patonyle I have had in my stash for some time (I will probably have to adjust the pattern to use this yarn)
  • Little Shell Socks using very pale pink Patonyle which I have also owned for some time (I will have to adjust this pattern too)
  • and if I had time... some socks from the green Opal that I also bought from Bendigo last year - not sure what the right pattern for this wool is yet...

Also

  • my mohair green jumper (I better get on and start the front)
  • and now for the real (and totally unrealistic) stretch the Jo Sharp jacket 'Asian Garden' which was published in Knitter's Magazine in Winter 2004 (and is also on the cover of Jo Sharp's Book No 8 'Eclectic'). I am not going to knit the flower pattern - I think a plain colour will be more elegant. But I do have a plan for a really good tassel for the front closure!

Too ambitious? Absolutely! Can I do it all - probably not - but you never know - and it will be fun trying. Even if I only enter one item in the Show I will feel a sense of achievement.

3 Comments:

Blogger Suse said...

That is one ambitious list! I'll be interested to see how many you achieve. I read somewhere the other day that if you write down your goals or resolutions, you are halfway to achieving them. Something to do with the act of writing, imprinting the intention into your brain.

(Sounded good, anyway).

Thanks for visiting my blog recently; it's great to find another knitting-gardening-Melbourne-blogger-gal.

1:53 PM  
Blogger Taphophile said...

That sorbet colourway is divine. Best of luck with the list - ambitious but do-able :)

7:28 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

thank you for positive words - trick is to keep going and keep it fun

12:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home