Sunday, January 22, 2006

What do you do on a day like this?

Well you guessed it - hot again. BOM predicting 43 deg C! Took Mil for a swim last night, which was just blissful - looking forward to doing that again tonight. It is probably even too hot to knit - my fingers are feeling too sticky - so I'm blogging instead...

As part of my surfing I visited Lynne's Yarnivorous who is taking part in the Knitting Olympics initiated by Stephanie over at Yarn Harlot. The idea is to cast on a challenging project as the torch is lit for the Winter Olympics on Feb 10 and cast off by the time the flame is extinguished on Feb 26 - 16 days of intensive knitting!

Lynne is putting together an Australian contingent - I am very tempted! This would fit in very nicely with my "The Challenge" to knit entries for the Red Hill Show by March 10.

So what would I knit??? It needs to be a challenge. One pair of socks doesn't seem enough - two pairs of socks? Maybe. Or the Jo Sharp kimono jacket - this may be too much? It uses DK after all. Another jumper I have wanted to knit for some time uses Jaeger's Chamonix - it is now discontinued - but I bought it in a close out sale from Jimmy Beans Wool . Here is what I would knit - a more complex pattern, but it's 14 ply - so maybe that is achievable?


Need to consider this a bit further...

I was also incredibly excited last night when I found the DVD of 'Desk Set' at my supermarket (of all places)! This is one of my all time favourite films. Anything with Katharine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy just has to be good - but the theme of office politics and the driving plot tension of cannot stand him/love him are really good stuff! Looking forward to putting it on this arvo.

5 Comments:

Blogger lisette said...

you can embroider when it's hot - stay tuned over on channel seahorse! i love that movie too!!

7:48 PM  
Blogger Taphophile said...

I love "Desk Set"! I'll have to keep my eyes peeled at Woollies! Good luck with the Knitting Olympics. I love the idea, but given our country's track record at the Winter Olymics, unless I can be Stephen Bradbury, I'll give it a mis. Now if it was the Knitting Commonwealth Games, we might be in with a chance ;)

That 14 ply jumper is gorgeous what colour wool did you buy?

8:14 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

The Chamonix yarn colour I have is an olive green - there is a great review of the yarn at Knitter's Review - I'm really looking forward to working with it.

8:31 PM  
Blogger Taphophile said...

Sounds lovely - will watch it's progress with interest. I'm nominating myself official Team Australia blog cheer squad :)

6:58 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

Go blog cheer squad! Will need all the encouragement I can get. Have already started to get cold feet about this idea.

But I can probably knit the Winter Olympics with equanimity and possibly with some humour because they are relatively low key in Australia (I don't really intend to watch them! just knit along at the same time)

... but the Commonwealth Games... Uggg. I am dreading them - had this grand plan to go on holidays during this period and avoid them... but think I will be sharing the trains with crowds of visitors - no train knitting for those two weeks...

1:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home