Sunday, April 29, 2007

In the Wars

Poor Mil (our aged and beloved blue heeler) - she has been in dog hospital all weekend with an extremely high temperature among other symptoms. I have just brought her home. It finishes a week of vet visits, with more to look forward to next week.

Last night I missed her terribly. I was surprised just how much I talk to her - I noticed because I kept starting to say something and of course she wasn't there! I'm also really aware of her in a spatial sense - I know it sounds strange, but I'm really conscious of where she 'is' in the house. Last night I found myself looking for her as I passed her usual haunts. I felt a real emptiness.

So pleased she's back. She's still not her bright happy self, but she's much improved from where she was on Saturday morning.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger kgirlknits said...

oh, I hope she gets well soon. I had to give up my beautiful 9 y.o. German Shepherd 12 months ago, and I still have days where I look for her around the house. They definitely become a strong presence in the family, don't they?

11:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope Mil is feeling better soon! Poor thing.

4:48 PM  
Blogger Flea-Bites said...

Susan, Sorry to hear that Mil is unwell - dogs become part of the family so quickly and you worry about them as though they were children. When we lost our very elderly little foxie, it was years before I stopped hearing her collar jingling around the house. And when my parents died, we inherited their old border collie - she quickly became "one of us" and for many months after she died, I'd come home after work and expect her to come out to greet me.

I hope Mil continues to improve.

6:41 PM  
Blogger Di said...

So sorry to hear she's been ill, but great that she's on the mend. I have a friend who owned two blue heelers- a father and son, who were great dogs.

9:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home