Wednesday, April 11, 2007

I know it's Autumn 'cause...

My garden is very important to me, but it's suffered very badly with the drought and neglect over the last two years. Last year during my pregnancy I was too ill to garden and this year I am back to my normal good health, but looking after Mr S has left me with no time.

There are weeds everywhere! It's way out of control. Now I like a bit of (what I would term) 'country style' (yes it's a euphemism)!!! One of my all time favourite books is Mirabel Osler's A Gentle Plea for Chaos.



It's a fab book and Mirabel Osler has a lovely voice - strong, independent, humorous, charming and calm. There is a tree house in the book that I would knock down and kill for.

But chaos is only attractive held on a short leash. My garden has slipped its leash and is running amuck! I'm actually quite embarrassed about its current state.

Still despite all that, there are still small vignettes that give joy...

The nerines, which come from my grandmother's garden (just ignore the grass), are my most favourite harbinger of Autumn.

As is Cyclamen hederifolium (hope you're still ignoring the weeds).

And the Glory Vine (which is totally out of control) is just beautiful. It was planted by Robert's grandmother. The purple flowers are Plectranthus ecklonii.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Taphophile said...

Ignoring the weeds in favour of being astounded you keep cyclamen alive! The nerines are lovely - mine didn't flower this year.

4:47 PM  
Blogger alltangledup said...

such pretty plants. I have never, ever gotten my nerines to flower. Once they look like they are about to flower, the rains come and the end. Yours just look so healthy, I am green with envy

5:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Such pretty plants. At least you're trying to tend to yours. I have such bad allergies that I can't go outside and work on the yard. That's my hubby's job.

6:07 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

Weeds always seem to grow without water dont they. Our garden is starting to brown with the lack of water too, and I am so sad that eventually I will lose it all together. I hope that we get more rain and the plants rejuvenate too.

9:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are a very talented gardener. You seem to have the knack of getting the best out of the most difficult of plants. There is always a little gem somewhere to be admired.

2:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home