Saturday, April 07, 2007

The mind turns slowly

I bought these for Mr S


Which reminded me that I still had this - Shepherd 4ply Baby Wool


I'd bought it while knitting this


At the time I thought that I would make a jumper to match.

The problem is that even though I'm an orange lover, I'm just not sure that I like this shade?

I keep looking at it and feeling very guilty about the waste if I don't use it. But my knitting time is so heavily rationed at present, do I really want to use it knitting something I won't like? What a dilemma. Which means that the wool just sits around while I 'um and ah' about whether to cut my loss and move on, or stick with it and make the [beep beep beeeeeeeep] jumper...

Anyway, the purchase of those socks got me thinking...

So I purchased these to experiment with - Rowan 4ply Scottish Tweed and Debbie Bliss Cashmerino DK


And came up with these swatches

  • top few lines: Rowan Scottish Tweed and Shepherd 4ply knitted in stripes in single strand on 3.25mm needles
  • middle rows: Rowan Scottish Tweed and Shepherd 4ply knitted together initially on 4mm needles, then on 5mm needles
  • lower section: Debbie Bliss Cashmerino DK and Shepherd 4 ply (double strand) knitted in two types of stripes (two row and four row) on 4mm needles.

I quite like the lower section (using the Cashmerino and the orange 4ply doubled).

So I'm going to use these yarns and the stripes concept to make something like one of these Sirdar designs...


Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger mames said...

i love the jumper on the left, with the hood. i have this thing for hoodies. your lil' bumpkin is adorable...and i love that you are in melbourne.my husband and i travelled oz a few years ago and we spent a lovely week in melbourne with friends...we were just talking about how good the biscuits were and how we miss paddle pops. maybe we'll get back someday.

10:30 AM  
Blogger mames said...

oh, i was going to ask where to find the sirdar pattern on left...got caught up in reminiscing.

10:31 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

Hi Mames

the two Sirdar designs come from Sirdar Book 316 'Baby Knits'. It's new in Australia this Autumn and is in all the LYS at present. It's got some other terrific designs including two other hoodies. I did a google search and there are on-line shops selling it if you cannot find it locally.

Glad you enjoyed Melbourne. I love living here. Hope you come back, the paddle pops are waiting!

Susan

2:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The sweaters would look beautiful in those yarns!

3:55 PM  
Blogger Austysmum said...

Those jumpers are fantastic! Love the hoodie but both are wonderful. I might have to check out that book - I loved knitting the sirdar hooded jacket.

8:53 AM  
Blogger Sue said...

I made the blue hoodie just a little while ago for my nephew's birthday. It knit up so quickly too. I love the book, it has a lot of fantastic patterns in it too. I love the pumpkin hat too, just gorgeous. I never used to like orange much but this year I seem to have purchased quite a bit of it.

9:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home