Saturday, March 24, 2007

Ok, now I'm dusted!

The Red Hill Show's over for another year. It's typical of many country shows - lots of food and local produce stalls; some junk stalls with blow up toys and fuzzy hats; rides; wood chopping; livestock; and arts and crafts.

And of course vegetables - I like the chicken wire. Not sure, but think it was to stop all those feisty vegetables escaping!


And don't you love dahlias - I do actually, but I know they verge on blousy bad taste... some might say they slip over the edge.

The John Deere stand had baby peddle power tractors - Mr S just has to have one of these. The helpful man gave me the JD toy catalogue!

And the elephant in the room... how did the judging go?

Sheep did really well.

My cup cake tea cosy got a second.

Here's what it looks like with it's friend teapot.

Mrs McHugh's blanket also received a second.

The Jaeger jumper with the embroidered design received an honourable mention.

This is the baby jumper that received the first prize.

And here are my other jumpers, an unknown pink one and a lovely little cardigan knitted by kgirlknits. Kgirl also received a first for her tea cosy and a second for her booties. I'm glad we both got some gongs! Not that I think it really matters. Judging is partly about assessing skill, but there's a big subjective component. Different judges, and a high likelihood of different results. Getting a prize is nice, it adds to the fun, but not getting one doesn't take fun away.

I also came across some really lovely yarn by CarolineTaylor at Benambra Blue. She also does lovely soaps (no yarn on the website). The yarn is a beautiful soft mix of merino and silk. It's also hand dyed.

I fell in love with this little hat for Mr S.

Caroline wrote out the pattern on my bag! Very kind of her.

Although I loved the autumn tones of the original, blues look better on Mr S. I bought enough to make a matching cardigan or jumper - just have to decide on a pattern now.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Taphophile said...

How lovely. ;) Congratulations! So pleased the sheep placed so well - you worked hard to get it right. You won't be sorry about getting the Benambra Blue yarn. She does a stellar job.

11:40 PM  
Blogger kgirlknits said...

Congrats on your successes! Wasn't it a great show?! Pity about the inclement weather, but it didn't seem to dampen spirits :) I got some of Caroline's wool too - wasn't she lovely?!
p.s. I really did think one of your baby garments would get up, I loved the little cross-over one!

9:26 AM  
Blogger lisette said...

wow!!! well done - you really deserve it not just for the beautiful work but the amazing feat of getting the pieces ready in time with a young baby. i'm really proud of you - and in considerable awe :)

10:06 AM  
Blogger Lynne said...

Congratulations; it's always fun to receive prizes at a show. I haven't entered one for years but I'm considering one in April.

www.2hot2knit.blogspot.com (previous to you on Knit 1 Blog 2 ring)

10:19 AM  
Blogger melissa said...

Here you are .. I lost your link and forgot your blog name (Der )
well done on the show entry(ies) Its nerve racking but how thrilling to get cards ...

5:22 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

Thanks for the lovely comments everyone. Really appreciate them.

7:05 PM  
Blogger Meg said...

Congratulations on the haul!! Everything looks great!

7:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home