Monday, April 02, 2007

Confessions

A couple of weeks ago I went to the Stitches and Craft Show in Melbourne.

I spent a lovely afternoon wandering around, with Mr S in his baby carrier, examining all sorts of yarn, fabric, beads, thread... there was an interesting stand demonstrating punch embroidery, which I'd love to try sometime.

These kinds of events are a bit like a trash and treasure market... lots of trash, but treasure as well (and of course which is which is all in the eyes of the beholder).

Here's some of my treasure.

Hand dyed 5ply 100% wool from Fiberworks.

And three lots of sock yarn. On line (cotton/wool mix); Tofu tsies (wool, 'soysilk', cotton, chitin [from crab and shrimp shells]); and Jitterbug (merino wool). I think I was in a bit of a lolly mood looking at the colours.

The Tofu tsies came from a business that sells all kinds of unusual yarn including bamboo, organic cotton and organic wool - www.ecoyarns.com.au. This yarn's made by the South West Trading Company - www.soysilk.com. After trawling through the site I'm still not any the wiser about what 'soysilk' actually is.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Meg said...

Trash and treasure - you hit the nail on the head there! It's been a while since I've gone to one of those shows but a friend mentioned she'll be staffing a (non-knitting-related) booth at the Sydney one this year so I'm thinking I might give it a try again. (Pity you have to pay to enter though!) I love these interesting fibres you picked up, I'm still totally in the dark as to how my tofu can be related to a yarn, glad to see I'm not the only one!

2:11 PM  
Blogger kgirlknits said...

great haul - love the colours!

hey btw, Melbourne Show entries opened on the weekend - squeeeeeee!

;) K

10:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great treasure finds! Not quite sure what soysilk is either.

2:04 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

Great sock yarn. I visited eco yarns too, and I bought the Tofutsies sock yarn as well. I havent used it yet though, so it will be nice to see how it knits up.

9:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home