Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Self Portrait Tuesday - my toes!


This month Self Portrait Tuesday's theme is "all of me" - embrace your mistakes, love the ugly bits.

Yes OK I have short stubby toes!

I first became aware of this when I was about 5 years old and drinking from a school water tap. A boy [cannot remember anything about him other than he was of a similar age] sidled up next to me and yelled out "You've got funny toes".

What did he mean? He then pointed out his long toes. I can remember saying so what, but inside I felt crushed.

Since then I have always been aware that most people have longer toes than me - it is one of the things I observe about others.

I think I have probably grown to love my toes and the difference about me that they represent. But I am still conscious of it.

Sometimes (for a fleeting second) I think that it would be nice to have long toes and long narrow feet too (mainly when I am looking at Elizabethan portraits).

But would I swap my toes for longer ones - not on your life!

I do wish however that that school yard incident had never happened!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

School kids can be so cruel, he probably had a problem with his own deformity. I would like to question, however, what kind of school allowed its students to run around in the playground bare footed! OH&S would never allow that now. You need to think of the advantages you gain by having stubby toes - eg. think of all the wool you must save when knitting socks for yourself!

12:28 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

Dear Robert

I thank you for your supportive comments. I am relieved that you, who probably know me best, would never engage in teasing of any nature! (save wool indeed - huff, huff, huff!!!)

L

S

PS - I was wearing open toe sandles, as was he! As you should of suspected as you also know I have a bare foot outside phobia!

1:52 PM  
Blogger happyspider said...

oh dear
i like your feet :) i have no foot phobias (exceptions for very long yellow nails of course) and they dont look weird to me. and yes, nice short toe decreases :)
thanks for sharing

11:56 AM  
Anonymous Bentley H said...

Hii thanks for posting this

7:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home