Saturday, May 03, 2008

Strawberry and Blueberry Ripple

I've bitten the bullet (so to speak) and unravelled about 10 colours of my ripple blanket. I cannot tell you how unhappy I was with it. The actually crocheting was fine, which is kind of what killed me about the whole sorry saga. But the colours! Ugg. Individually fine. Together, one horrible mess.

I knew I couldn't live with it. But I knew it was going to hurt unravelling so much. So, I procrastinated about taking action for weeks and weeks.

Finally, on Thursday night I did it. Here is how it used to look:



And now, well it's back to ripple ripple ripple! I've completed a further 1 1/2 colours. I refuse to say 're-done'. I think if I think about it in those terms I'm going to drag my feet, thinking that I am just going over old ground. I need to think about what I'm doing as new.

So, here is how it looks now:




I think that what helped me turn the corner was buying some new colours from Cleggs in Elizabeth Street, Melbourne.

They had some Cleckheaton's Machine Wash 8ply Wool Crepe on sale for $2.50 a 50g ball in some good colours - pinks, mauve pinks, pinky red, and they had some other colours of Paton's Totem, which I hadn't seen before - specifically a soft grey blue purple colour. It's one of those colours, which in different lights appears different. Looking at it this moment, it looks like periwinkle.

I think what I am ending up with is a Strawberry and Blueberry Ripple!


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------


On a different topic, I have discovered Cast On. It's a pod cast about knitting, recorded by Brenda Dayne, who's an American living in Wales. I've only listened to 3 shows so far, but I think they are lovely. Bright, thoughtful, entertaining.

I listen to it on my laptop, but it's the first time I've started to think that maybe I do need an I-pod. Two people tried to give me one for Christmas, but I said I didn't want one. No use for one. I think I may have changed my mind.

I have Sue to thank for putting me on to it. I think I had read about Cast On before somewhere, but when I recently read Sue's blog, 'Sue who knits', I was convinced that I should at least have a listen. I think I'm hooked!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------


And changing the subject again, I am also involved in my first 'swap' as a result of participating in one of the forum's on Ravelry - Susan Knits. We are all 'Swapping Susans'.

My swap partner is SueChicago - the same Sue mentioned above.

I already have a few ideas about what I might put in my swap package - the minimum requirement is something local and 200g of yarn.

Everyone participating in the swap had to fill in a questionnaire, so I have some clues as to what her general interests and tastes are. Mmmmm. Trying very hard to be thoughtful and send something she may like. Despite the vague anxiety, it's kind of fun though!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Sue Who Knits said...

Do not regret the "reworking" of your ripples. The new color combinations are much better.

Thanks for the blog link. That was sweet of you.

Cast On and Brenda Dayne are wonderful. I recommend starting at the beginning and enjoying (not working) your way through.

3:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the new color combos too!

Cast On is wonderful. I also like Sticks and String, and Stash and Burn a lot too!

6:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home